Innowiki founding member Michael Olenick is currently an executive fellow at the INSEAD Blue Ocean Strategy Institute, on the Fontainebleau, France campus. Michael has worked closely with Chan Kim and Renée Mauborgne since 2001, before the book Blue Ocean Strategy came out in 2005, when it was articles in Harvard Business Review. Michael learned about Blue Ocean Strategy (then called Value Innovation) at Avery Dennison as a product developer, brought it to GE, and has used it at countless companies since.
Michael advises, consults, researches, and teaches BOS throughout the world. He has implemented business strategy for companies ranging from startups to Fortune 100’s. Michael works with senior executives of countless companies and organizations to develop and/or study strategy. He focuses especially on technology, disruption, nondisruption, and the differences and similarities of B2B and B2C businesses.
Michael’s research has been cited in leading business publications including the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Bloomberg. Congress and the New York Federal Reserve have collaborated with him and relied on his research when making policy.
His research is taught by leading business schools including Harvard Business School, Stanford Graduate School of Business, the Wharton School, University of Chicago, and others. Multiple cases are bestsellers at Harvard Business Review/Harvard Business School Publishing, including:
• Driving the Future: How Autonomous Vehicles Will Change Industries and Strategy (Harvard Business School Press)
• Gaga for Wawa: Blue Ocean Retailing (Harvard Business School Press)
• The Marvel Way: Restoring a Blue Ocean (Harvard Business School Press)
• A Blue Ocean Shift from Insolvency to Excellence in Higher Education: Turning around the Universidad Privada Boliviana – A Reflection on My Journey to Blue Ocean (Harvard Business School Press)
• Nintendo Switch: Shifting from Market-Competing to Market – Creating Strategy (Harvard Business School Press)
• An Innovation that has Changed the Lives of Women in India (Harvard Business School Press)
Michael has a doctorate in law. He delivers keynote speaking, workshops, lectures and consulting all over the world.